Last Updated on by
Learn the essentials about Australia Visa Application,visa types, visa fees, required documents and processing times during your Australia visa application in Nigeria.
Melbourne, which is one of the cities in Australia, was ranked the second most liveable city in the world.
The 2018 ranking carried out by Economist Intelligence Unit, saw Melbourne coming behind Vienna after clinging to the first position the previous year. The streets maintain musical names; beers are served during haircuts, and smelly shoes pass off as art in the lovely city.
And the best part of it is you don’t need to pay through your nose to live there.
Whether you plan to study there, visit or relocate permanently, you need an Australian visa to cover your stay.
Australia Visa types and who they are made for.
The various types of visas available for Nigerians are:
1. Visitor Visas
This is suitable for visitors; people in transit, and for those who want to embark on work and holiday programs in Australia.
2. Working and Skilled Visas:
This class of visas will suit you if you want to go on (a) a business investment trip to Australia (b) carry out a temporary activity (c) a regional sponsor migration scheme (d) an employer nomination scheme. In essence, it is essential for skilled workers or business people who want to invest or secure an investment in Australia.
3. Studying and Training Visas
As the name implies, this category is for those who want to study in Australia. You must have secured an admission and received a letter to commence your studies from one of the schools in Australia. Training visa and student guardian visa also come under this class of visas.
4. Family and Spousal Visas
This has to do with those who have a family resident in Australia. The types of visas under this class include orphan relative, parent, aged parent, adoption, and partner visas.
5. Refugee and Humanitarian Visas:
To travel under this visa, an Australian organization or an individual needs to propose on your behalf. The proposal form is needed when lodging an application. This class of visas is meant for those with a substantial violation of their human rights in their home country.
This includes medical treatment visa, special purpose visa, and maritime crew visa.
Check out other sub-classes of visas here.
Also, the visa finder link is here. It will help you with the following:
- Knowledge of what the visa will let you do.
- What you need to know before you apply.
- Cost of application for that type of visa.
How to Apply for Australia Visa In Nigeria
Application for an Australian visa is done online and starts by creating an account called ImmiAccount. The link is here.
The account is meant for visa application management. You can use it to make an application, attach required documents, and track the progress of your application.
Australian visa application centres in Nigeria
An alternative to the ImmiAccount is to make a paper application using Teleperformance limited, TLScontact.
They secured an agreement with the Australian department to cater for visa application services in Nigeria. Their Australian Visa Application Centers (AVAC) are in Lagos and Abuja.
Their Lagos address is:
5th & 6th Floors Etiebets Place, 21 Mobolaji Bank, Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos.
The Abuja address is:
3rd Floor, El Yakub Muhktar Place, Zakariya Maimalari Street, CBD, Abuja
Both offices are open for business from Monday to Friday, bar South African public holidays.
For telephone inquiries, dial +27(0) 124723800. The phone line is open from 8:30am to 4PM (South African Time) Monday to Friday and it isn’t a toll free line. International charges apply. There is an option to leave your contact details and request a return call, too.
Bear in mind that Teleperformance will charge you a fee for their services apart from the visa application fee.
Australian visa requirements for Nigerian citizens
- You must provide a complete visa application, which comprises necessary information for the visa type you so desire. More importantly, supporting documents must back the information you provide.
- Sometimes, applicants might be asked to provide further information or documents with respect to a particular circumstance. Such can happen even after lodging an application. According to the Australian High Commission, the list of supporting documentation you need to make available is not exhaustive. A checklist has been provided for every visa type and can be found here: https://au.tlscontact.com/za/JNB/page.php?pid=visa_info
- You will need polio vaccination if you have spent over 27 days in Nigeria. The certificate must be included with your visa application. If you fail to provide it, the High Commission has the right to contact you on how to provide your vaccination certificate. In addition to polio certificate, a valid yellow fever card is also needed. Making the certificate available to your nearest application center is also welcomed.
- All visa applicants from Nigeria are to provide their biometrics. It includes your fingerprints and a digital photograph. This is compulsory unless you are personally exempted from doing so.
- You must provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay in Australia. This can come in the form of certified bank statement.
- If you are going on a visit, you must provide a letter of invitation from your host resident in Australia.
Australian visa processing time in Nigeria
The Australian High Commission in Pretoria, South Africa, processes all visa applications from Nigerians. You can request for information regarding the progress of your application by doing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patience is needed because of the significant volume of emails the High Commission receives from applicants.
The links and information provided are valid and up to date. As much as you want to gain entrance legally, following the steps outlined in this blog post is non-negotiable.
There is no harm in hearing out from those already in Australia or who have been there not long ago.
A visa gives you opportunity to travel to the port-of-entry of another country. You still have to convince the immigration officer stationed there why you should be allowed entry. So be careful not to fall into the trap of swindlers.
We await your success story as you follow the steps outlined here.