Last Updated on by
Get the correct facts and procedures about Canada visa types, visa fees, required documents and processing times during your Canada visa application in Nigeria.
In 2017, Canada Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen announced immigration would be responsible for one hundred percent of population growth in Canada by 2036.
According to the minister, immigrants will help augment for the aging working class since they are expected to retire about 5 million workers by 2035.
In another news, Ray Waila, the co-founder of a start-up incubator company called Launch Academy, was in India to sell Canada as a place well suited for them to come and build a company. These indicators point to one fact: your next destination should be Canada.
As much as Canada welcomes immigrants, it boasts of one of the strictest immigration laws. It doesn’t mean they aren’t poised to allow people in; on the contrary, it clearly means if you must enter you have to pass through the front door.
Canadian Visa types and who they are made for
To gain entry into Canada, you would require a valid visa. The various types of Canadian visas available are:
- Temporary Residence: This is intended for visitors on a brief stay. You can visit as a tourist, businessperson, or as a parent to see your children or grandchildren. The requirements are different, though.
- Study Permit: As the name implies, you have to get a study permit if you want to study in Canada. There must be proof of funds and an admission letter from the school.
- Work Permit: This is essential for those who want to work in Canada. For example, if you’ve been nominated on a regional or federal level to migrate to Canada as a skilled worker, the visa you need falls under this category. Again, if a company in Canada wants to transfer you down as one of their staff, you need to lodge a work permit visa application.
- Permanent Residence: This is suitable for people who want permanent residency in Canada.
The link to visa types can be accessed here.
When on the page, scroll down to expose the “VISA TYPES” section. Click on the one that suits your purpose.
You will discover all you need to know regarding that visa type, how to apply, and what to do after you’ve applied. For some, the application fees are clearly visible.
How to apply for Canada Visa in Nigeria
There are two ways to proceed with an application for a Canadian visa.
- Online: You can make an online application from the IRCC website. Ensure you get the right visa application forms. All supporting documents must be scanned and payments made electronically. You can check your application progress here.
- Through a VFS Global Visa Application Center (third-party): For online applications, the documents in PDF should be printed and filled. Supporting documents for the information you provided must be put together to validate your claims. In the event that you are incapable of getting all supporting documents as stated, you will need to send a signed waiver form. The form is compulsory and prevents the red light on your application. A VFS consent form must be included in your application. When you are satisfied with the forms, go ahead and make payments. They will generate a receipt and a unique number for you once you’ve made payments. The number allows you to track the progress of your online application.
The addresses of Canada visa application centers in Nigeria are:
- Abuja: Silverbird Entertainment Centre, Plot 1161, Memorial Drive, Central Business District, Abuja. Telephone number: 234(0) 8150199900
- Lagos: Manor Hall, Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos. Telephone number: 234(0) 8150199900.
You can secure your visa at the application center when ready for collection. If not disposed to be there physically, there is a courier service option at your disposal.
When visiting Canada Visa Application center (CVAC), make sure you go with the following:
- Passport: Your international passport must be valid and the duration has to be enough to cover your stay.
- Completed forms
- Supporting documents
- Photocopies of supporting documents
The documents you go with must be as required by the checklist provided for the visa type.
You will need paying the visa fees, VFS Global service charge, and biometric fees when submitting your application in person. The need for the provision of biometrics has gone into full swing since July 31, 2018. VFS Global will collect your biometrics at the same time you are submitting your application. So you don’t need going about in search of where to do it.
You can track your application here.
The VSF Global site has a live chat application just in case you need more clarification.
The Canada visa website is designed in such a way that it is almost impossible for you to miss out on anything. Documents, checklists, and proper information are all provided.
There are specifications for passport photographs and you can unearth them here. If you must supply them with your biometrics, you need not provide a paper photograph since a photograph is part of the biometrics. You might additionally be required to go with a medical history certificate/letter to prove you are in good health for the trip.
A Kid below 18 traveling alone has to provide a letter of authorization from his or her parents. If the kid is traveling with one of his/her parents, the other parent being alive must grant them a letter of authorization.
In 2017, the Canadian government announced they were going to add about one million people from 2017 to 2020. The news was reported by an online Canadian news agency
It shows that traveling to Canada at this time remain the best idea. Unlike other developed nations in Europe and even the United States of America, the government of Canada envisages immigration as a formidable tool to enhance their economy.
There are federal and regional skilled workers nomination programs every year. It is another avenue you can explore if you don’t possess the funds to undertake the trip. For some programs, a test of English Language proficiency is needed. This is mostly applicable if going on a study or work permit.
As you start your application, plant your feet firmly on the steps established herein. Check out for wrong spellings and salient errors. It takes a while from making an application to getting a response. Nevertheless, it will be worth it if at the end of the day you get the green light to come visit Canada.